Topham Times

Topham Times

Monday, February 14, 2011

Savannah's Valentine's Day commentary (text is at bottom of post)













For Valentines Day I bought Katie red roses. I bought each of the girls a fake rose -- one with a plastic stem and leaves and a rubber flower. Inside the rose is a button-activated twinkle light. Right after I gave Katie her flowers, I presented each daughter with theirs.


A short time later, Savannah observed, "Dad, I like real roses. I would like either real roses or a light-up one like this, not the kind that are just decorations. I don't like those. But a real rose would be good.


Okay, Savannah, I can take a hint. A real rose for you next year, my dear.


An hour or so later, Savannah came up to me with rose in hand and said, "Dad, I love you today more than I used to, and I'm going to love you this way all day today because you gave me this rose for Valentines Day."


Still later, she asked her mother, "Mom, why did dad give you roses, but I just got a rose?"


Katie replied, "Well, because dad is my husband and he loves me. Maybe when you grow up and get married your husband will buy you roses."


Savannah mumbled, "Yeah," and walked away. Then added, "I hope I live in Dallas then."
And later still: "Dad, real ones and light-up ones are fun, but the flowers that just sit on a dresser and are fake are the ones that are not fun."

2 comments:

  1. She cracks me up. Isn't it funny how they fixate on things and find a million different ways to express their displeasure about things. This is such a funny age!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she knows that a lady deserves to get real flowers!

    ReplyDelete