Topham Times

Topham Times

Monday, February 9, 2015

In which my daughters pass notes back and forth, reverently insulting each other during church

On Sunday, my 6 and 8 year-old daughters entertained themselves during church services by carrying on a conversation via notes they passed between them. It was not exactly a love-fest. Here is what they wrote:


L (age 6): What is your name


S (age 8): Savannah


L: I cant read.


S: [very messy this time] Savannah


L: Now that is sloppy.


S: Half of it is cursive.


L: I don't care. Wright neat.


S: [carefully written] Savannah


L: I still can't read.


S: If I wrote as neet as I can you still would not be able to read it.


L: Well wright neeter


S: I can not write neeter.


L: Why


S: because ped [sic] is not hot.


L: What is ped.


S: I ment pen


L: What do you mean.


S: You see pen is not hot


L: could you wright that neeter please


S: Pen is not hot.


L: Then it is cold


S: Yes I gess Leila


L: you speld guess rong do you care.


S: [illegible]


L: You had no anser


S: Yes I did I will underline it


L: Well, I can't redd


S: You spelled Read with two ds


L: I still can't Read so stop


S: Well then learn how Leila


L: I wont


S: Learn how to read.


L: Wy


S: So we can get some were. in your word what you forget the a [i.e., 'h']


L: Why


S: To learn


L: Wut


S: Leila I thought I told you how to read.


L: Wut


S: how did this start Leila


L: I Don't NO!


S: well figer it out


L: HOW?


S: Look at the first note


L: Wut whon [one] this wun [arrow pointing off left side of page]


S: No the other one


L: Wut whon. this one [arrow pointing to top of page]


S: That is the same one


L: now it isn't


On the bottom half of the page, Leila drew a picture of a snow person wearing a tiara and a dress. She labeled it: "a snow man." Savannah wrote back, "I think that is a snow woman Leila."

2 comments: