Topham Times

Topham Times

Monday, March 28, 2016

My daughters encounter the 2016 presidental election, part 2

Scene: driving Leila to school this morning. She is looking at all the election signs along the way.

Leila: "Dad, I had a dream last night that I voted for someone for president. It was a made up person. I can't remember his name now, but his last name started with a 'P'."

Me <thinking>: Just so long as his last name didn't start with a 'T' kid!

Leila, still reading names off signs: "Dad, Why don't you want Trump to win?"

Me <thinking>: Because he's a xenophobic buffoon, among other things.
I then explain that he has lots of unpalatable views, and that he just keeps saying more disturbing things every time he opens his mouth. She requests an example. I ask her if she has heard of Muslims. She says no. I explain that they are a very large religious group, the vast majority of whom are peaceful people just trying to live good lives. I remind her about 9/11 and tell her that Trump has tapped into some people's post-9/11 fears. I explain his anti-Muslim stance and tell her he dislikes millions of people based on their religion.

Leila, as she hops out of the car at school: "So, like Hitler?"

Dear Mr. Trump, my 7-year-old daughter is on to you! You haven't got a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment