Topham Times

Topham Times

Monday, March 28, 2016

My daughters encounter the 2016 presidential election, part 4

Political strife of an unusual nature is afoot next door. One morning I awoke to find that my neighbors had planted a Donald Trump banner in the lawn on the boundary line between our yards. I was much relieved a couple days later to see it had been moved to the center of my neighbors' front yard. A few days later, it disappeared altogether.

I mentioned this to Savannah, who giggled and said, "I know." She then explained that her friend who lives in our subdivision and rides the bus with her to school every day is the granddaughter of our next-door neighbors. Unlike her grandparents, she does not support Trump's candidacy. It was she who had been moving the banner around. Savannah said that her friend kept moving it as a form of protest, as well as an act of defiance against her grandparents. One day, she turned the sign around so that passersby would see the print backwards. She gleefully announced that it now read "Pmurt." Apparently, that was the point at which the grandparents conceded defeat and removed the sign entirely.

Nine-year-old girl: 1 Grandparents: 0

Laugh. Out. Loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment