Topham Times

Topham Times

Monday, March 28, 2016

My daughters encounter the 2016 presidential election, part 3

When I picked Leila up from school today, she immediately started in on politics again, continuing this morning's conversation (see earlier post for context). She told me the kids talked about politics all day. She said some of her classmates' fathers think Trump is great, but others do not. She said the kids whose parents do not support Trump kept referring to him as "Tronald Dump." Leila thought this was funny, given the slang meaning of the word "dump."

Then Leila switched to discussing the Democrat candidates. She said she opposes Hillary Clinton solely because Hillary is currently the biggest threat to her dream of becoming the first "girl president," as Leila phrased it. Then Leila wanted to know how soon she could run for president. She was appalled when I said not until the year 2044. She decided my math was off and set out to double-check it. She came up with 2028 as the correct year. Turns out, she thought she could run for president after she turned 18. When I told her the magic number was 35, it ruined her day. She thought it was dumb of the Framers of the Constitution to pick such a ridiculously advanced age as the minimum requirement.

This kid entertains me.

No comments:

Post a Comment