Topham Times

Topham Times

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 5: Black and White/Really Good or Really Bad

The day started off with a visit to the local fire station where we were given a tour. We saw four different trucks, and were shown all over. I don't have the pictures for it so I'll tell you more later, but let's just say that Savannah and Leila were scared, but Colette had the time of her life.

We are reading the book "The Trumpet of the Swan" by E.B. White while we eat lunch. Its about a swan named Louis and how he overcomes the obstacle of not having a voice. The book starts out with the mom and dad finding a pond and building a nest, then talks about the laying and hatching of those eggs. We have been reading it for about 5 days. On the first day I explained to them what the book was about and then started reading it. Today Leila asked me where Louis was. We had not read anything about a Louis and the picture I was showing her didn't have anything to do with a Louis so I thought Leila was mixing up something else with the story. (When we read "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" after reading "Charlotte's Webb" she often asked me where Charlotte was.) Then like a ton of bricks it dawned on me that a week ago I had told her the story was about Louis but we have not talked about it since, and she was wondering where in the world he was. A lot of the time I don't think Leila is paying attention, but she still picks up on a lot of things that I don't, or that I easily forget about.

The book has made an impression on them because after lunch they have quiet time together and I got this picture of them sitting on their "nests" keeping their eggs warm and reading stories to each other so they wouldn't get bored while waiting for the chicks to hatch.

Colette had a doctor's appointment today and all is well. She is 25% for weight, coming in at 21 pounds, and 50% for height, coming in at 31 inches. She is growing up. No longer a baby, even though her sisters call her the baby.

After the appointment, we came home, ate dinner, delivered dinner to a lady who is having lots of health problems, returned home, and went to bed.

A good day all in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment